This is a very interesting news story for everyone in our field! The director of the National Institues of Health (NIH), USA, Dr. Francis Collins held an inaugural presentation for the Religion, Spirituality, and Health Scientific Interest Group (RSH-SIG) some days ago. The title of his talk is “Harmonizing the Spiritual and Scientific Worldviews.” Thus, Religion, spirituality and health is a specified focus for the NIH. Perhaps it is time to bring political focus to the potential of spiritual care in the Nordic countries as well?
You can view the presentation here (appr. 60 min.): Religion, Spirituality and Health Scientific Interest Group: Harmonizing the Spiritual and Scientific Worldviews
The strategy of the RSH-SIG of the NIH has different foci:
- Harmonization of R/S terms
- Categorization of R/S tools
- RSH-SIG Networking Events
- RSH-SIG ListServ and centralized resources (i.e., portal)
- RSH-SIG Seminar Series
- An Annual RSH-SIG Symposium
- Further development and validation of tools to measure R/S
Something to be inspired from?